Fresh off the back of their recently updated firmware which brought a whole host of new features including Rekordbox support. Denon DJ has once again stunned the DJ industry by announcing streaming capabilities on all their Prime players. Yes, thats correct eagled eyed readers! Even the two year old SC5000 players have had hidden Wi-Fi capability all along! Accessible from the brilliant touch screen, this technology will put over 200 million songs at a DJ’s fingertips with no need for a laptop!
How Will It Work?
For those not trusting a wireless internet connection, the ethernet link port on the rear of the units can be used for wired internet. Although this may not be needed as the full track will always buffer into the player to avoid any upset if the WiFi should lose signal, a very smart move indeed.
This is the first time streaming has been available on stand alone players. Serato already supports streaming with Tidal and Soundcloud, as does Algoriddim Djay with Spotify and Edjing has Deezer integration. Rekordbox will be supporting streaming shortly with BeatPort Link coming, but it’s not yet clear if this will only work in Performance mode. Bringing features such as this to players that have been out for a while is great to see and once again it’s Denon DJ who are pushing the boundaries of stand alone units. Do note you will need a subscription with each one of these services to access them on the Denon DJ Prime players.
Denon have partnered with a wide variety of Streaming partners to bring DJ’s a very versatile choice of services. Depending on what sort of DJ you are may dictate with platform you use here but Denon have done a great job of partnering with companies that cover almost every base. Spotify will always be a big question but Tidal fills the commercial space for the time being, just as it does in Serato.
Offline play is available through the unique locker technology offered by both Beatport LINK and Beatsource LINK. Though these services will cost more than the other streaming platforms. Beatport Link Pro will cost $39.99 per month and allow you to take 50 tracks offline. Beatport Link Pro+ will cost $59.99 per month and allow you to take 100 tracks offline
- SoundCloud – SoundCloud, the world’s largest open audio platform, will be a part of this new integration. With standalone streaming via the Prime Series, SoundCloud users can now instantly stream and mix SoundCloud’s massive catalog of more than 200 million tracks from over 20 million creators using a SoundCloud Go+ premium consumer subscription.
- Beatport – Beatport’s new LINK technology will support standalone streaming with the Prime Series hardware. LINK, an innovative streaming service built for DJs, is the first of its kind to include an offline storage mode for public performance. Beatport’s hugely popular and club-ready digital content, along with expertly curated playlists will give Prime DJs access to an unprecedented electronic music library.
- Beatsource – Beatport and world-leading promo pool, DJcity, recently joined forces to launch the hip-hop and open format specialist DJ platform Beatsource. This new platform will provide access to a broad catalogue of music, genre-specific discovery, intuitive playlisting, and expert curation, all accessible for performance over wireless and wired connection as well as standalone streaming in the Denon DJ Prime Series products via Beatsource LINK.
- TIDAL – With access to over 60 million songs, standalone streaming with the TIDAL platform brings DJs a huge variety of music to please any crowd, dancefloor or event. DJs can easily access their personal TIDAL playlists and follow the platform’s own expertly curated selections too. With so many tracks and exclusive content across a massive variety of music styles, DJs can be prepared for any request at every conceivable gig – and all standalone within the Prime Series hardware.
- Wi-Fi enabled across the entire Prime Series (Prime 4, SC5000, SC5000M)
- Hard Wire/physical connection to internet available
- Streaming of digital music services within standalone unit
- Touchscreen Interface direct to streaming service
- Buffering of track in unit memory in case of network disconnect
- Add hot-cues and loop points to streamed tracks
- Search artists, songs and playlists direct from touchscreen
- Streaming service partners added via firmware updates starting this summer
- Through the unique locker technology, both Beatport LINK and Beatsource LINK will have offline storage
- Beatport Link Pro will cost $39.99 per month and allow you to take 50 tracks offline
- Beatport Link Pro+ will cost $59.99 per month and allow you to take 100 tracks offline